What if someone broke their neck, damaged their lower back and recovered to become not only an elite athlete themselves but also a Strength & Conditioning (S&C) coach to other high performance athletes? What if they also combined their 20+ years of experience and knowledge in S&C with a Masters Degree in Sports Coaching to effectively manage back pain in everyone from injured athletes to injured workers? Matt Jones (CSCS) brings all of this and more to the table in the fields of health & high performance coaching!
Strength & Conditioning (S&C) Experience
Matt Jones is a highly experienced Strength & Conditioning Coach who has served as a S&C coach to numerous elite athletes including Olympians, Professional Athletes, Elite Amateurs, Combat Athletes and Occupational Athletes (i.e. Law Enforcement, Military etc.). He is one of only a handful of Australians to hold the gold standard of S&C credentials as a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) with the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) of America.
He also served as the S&C Coach for a number of elite sporting programs, including two years as the S&C Coach for the South Australian College of Elite Golf (now the Australian College of Elite Golf) and has consulted on the development of a number of Strength & Conditioning programs for both National and International clients.
Although he has had great success with high performance athletes, Matt’s main focus in Strength & Conditioning is in rehabilitation. His interest spawned from the recovery process he undertook after breaking his neck during a freak sporting accident. At the time, there was no rehabilitation service for those who were fit enough to walk unassisted but still continued to suffer ongoing neck and back pain, therefore a poor quality of life was usually the end result. Matt didn’t want to accept that kind of life as his only option so went on a mission to learn as much as he could to assist with his own recovery journey. Using himself as the ‘test dummy’, he developed what is now known as the ‘Jones Spine Method’.
With his expertise and track record in spinal rehabilitation, Matt spent three years serving as the Strength & Conditioning Specialist at The International Spine Centre (ISC), a world class multi-disciplinary neurosurgery and spinal surgery clinic located in the Wakefield Hospital, Adelaide. Matt’s knowledge and expertise has helped many people from all walks of life to overcome their chronic back pain with tremendous success. This extends far beyond Adelaide with patients who have flown in, from far and wide, to benefit from Matt’s unique approach to movement and strength training.
Matt now delivers all of his Strength & Conditioning and Back Care sessions out of his gym, ISOHEALTH in Torrensville, South Australia.
Academic & Professional Qualifications
Masters Degree, Sports Coaching
Griffith University, Queensland, Australia
Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)*
National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) of the United States of America
Nationally Accredited Strength & Conditioning Coach
Australian Strength & Conditioning Association (ASCA)
Nationally Accredited Weightlifting & Power Sports Coach
Australian Weightlifting Federation (AWF)
*NB: The CSCS is the world’s most highly regarded Strength & Conditioning qualification. Eligibility for the CSCS exam requires a candidate to hold university qualifications of AQF Level 8 or higher (a bachelor degree is level 7). Candidates must then sit a rigorous 4 hour exam under university examination conditions and achieve a grade of 70% or higher in order to pass and attain the CSCS credential – the standard pass rate is 6 out of 10.
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu & MMA Coaching Experience
As the Head Coach of ISOHEALTH (ISOBJJ), one of Australia’s leading Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) and Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) academies, Matt coaches all levels of BJJ students from novices through to international gold medalists and professional MMA fighters.
Matt’s extensive S&C knowledge and experience in sports coaching has helped him to produce numerous champions & medalists in State, National & International BJJ competitions. Additionally Matt has produced multiple ‘Fight of the Night’ and ‘Submission of the Night’ winners in MMA but perhaps most important of all is that Matt has helped many people improve their self defence skills for both their daily life and their professional lives.
Under Matt’s tutelage his students have won:
- 5 x Grappling Industries Adelaide Adult Championship Team
- 3 x North American Grappling Association (NAGA) World Championship Titles
- 1 x Winner ADCC Trials Korea
- Numerous Adult gold medals in International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation (IBJJF) competitions
- Numerous Australian BJJ Championship Titles
- In excess of 100 gold medals in local and State BJJ competitions
- Multiple winners in a number of Australian MMA promotions including 2 x ‘Fight of the Night’ winners & 1 x ‘Submission of the Night’ winner
- 2 x Team Cup Champions in South Australian BJJ State Championships (AFBJJ-SA)
Martial Arts Experience
- Wing Chun Kung-fu Level 1 (Black Belt), Australian Wing Chun Federation (AWF)
- Australian Director & Level 2 Instructor of Jim Wagner Reality-Based Personal Protection (RBPP) 2006-2009
- Certified Instructor Floro Fighting Systems (edged weapons)
- Member of the Australian Archery Team
- Three times South Australian State Record Holder
- National Silver and Bronze Medallist
- Three times South Australian State Champion
- Member of the PSE World Team
- High Performance Scholarship Holder, South Australian Sports Institute (SASI)
- Talent Identification Scholarship Holder, South Australian Sports Institute (SASI)
- Played AA Pro Beach Volleyball Adult/Open, Volleyball SA
- 2nd Place, Under 21 State Triple Crown, Pairs Beach Volleyball, Volleyball SA
- Member of South Australian Indoor Volleyball Team U19, National Silver Medallist Team
- Competed at National level until breaking his neck in the Australian Championships (click here to see the event footage of his accident)
- 2016 Club Champion, Centrefire Unmodified, Adelaide Indoor Firearms Association (AIFA)
- 2017 Club Champion, Centrefire Unmodified, Adelaide Indoor Firearms Association (AIFA)